Deadline: January 28, 2023
Airport: Reno Tahoe Intl (RNO)
Engineering Manager Job description
The Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority (RTAA) is seeking a candidate with experience in engineering and construction management, to serve as the Manager of Engineering & Construction. Experience in an airport environment is preferred but not a requirement. The RTAA offers a positive, professional work environment that values teamwork, honesty, respect, recognition, integrity, innovation, versatility, and excellence. If this sounds like an environment in which you would THRIVE, the RTAA is a wonderful place to make a career!
The RTAA is embarking upon an exciting multi-year construction program that will transform the way travel in our region. The projects known collaboratively as the MoreRNO program will occur over the next 7-8 years and will approach approximately $1 Billion in cost. More information on MoreRNO can be found at www.renoairport.com/morerno/.
The Manager of Engineering & Construction is a key member of the Planning, Engineering & Environmental Management team. The Manager of Engineering & Construction reports to, and provides highly responsible and complex staff assistance to, the Chief of Planning & Infrastructure, serving as the technical advisor on matters related to all airport engineering and construction projects. The Manager of Engineering & Construction will provide management and oversight for technical and professional tasks in the areas of engineering and construction, including, program planning, budgeting, design, contract procurement, fiscal administration, construction management, coordination, quality assurance and federal assistance programs. In addition, the Manager of Engineering & Construction shall be responsible for overseeing negotiating, administering and managing professional service contracts and all airport construction project contracts in compliance with State and federal laws, rules, and regulations, RTAA policy, and budgetary authority.
The nature of the position requires the ability to lead, motivate, develop, and manage a team of professional and technical personnel; sound independent judgment and discretion in determining optimal strategies for resource allocation to meet departmental goals and objectives; the ability to analyze problems, project consequences, identify alternatives and implement timely and effective solutions; the ability to effectively communicate technical and procedural requirements; and the ability to establish, maintain and foster effective working relationships.
With more, the RTAA is about to embark on the largest construction project in our airport’s history, and that means “never a dull moment” for the person who lands this position. This is an opportunity to continue your successful career in a vibrant and growing organization. No kidding – you will want to be in on this! Check out www.moreRNO.com and our social media channels for up-to-the-moment coverage.
Example of Duties:
• Direct, manage and coordinate the work plan for RTAA engineering & construction services and activities; including, capital improvement programs, and assists the Airport Improvement Program (AIP) grant process; review and evaluate work methods and procedures; review and approve work programs, policy recommendations and special reports.
• Screen, interview, and select new employees in accordance with established policies, procedures, and guidelines.
• Supervise, plan, coordinate, and assign projects and areas of program responsibility and monitor progress.
• Plan, coordinate and provide training to staff to ensure that all staff members are properly prepared to carry out assigned functions.
• Evaluate the performance of staff, providing regular feedback regarding quality and quantity of work performed; provide employees with the guidance and direction needed to correct deficiencies; and work with employees to help improve individual and operational productivity.
• Negotiate and resolve sensitive, significant, and controversial issues relating to engineering and construction issues.
• Direct the preparation of Professional Services Agreements for the preparation of plans and specifications for construction bid documents; recommend contract awards; and ensure compliance with contract terms and conditions.
• Monitor and evaluate engineering and construction projects to ensure that projects are economical, well documented and meet applicable regulations, codes and standards; ensure that project schedules are maintained; direct cost tracking procedures to ensure that approved budgets are maintained, and potential overruns are noted and corrected expediently.
• Monitor and evaluate engineering and construction programs for grant-eligible projects under the Airport Improvement Program (AIP) grant process are properly executed by conducting design, review, and project control procedures; recommend a selection of appropriate architectural, engineering, construction management, program management, inspection and testing services in a thoroughly documented manner.
• Assist Planning and Environmental Services and other RTAA departments regarding project estimates, construction feasibility, operations, maintenance, and priorities.
• Develop and administer an annual budget by forecasting funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, supplies, and training seminars; planning & programming of project scopes, monitors and approving expenditures; prepare and implement budgetary adjustments, as necessary during the fiscal year.
• Represent Engineering & Construction to other departments/divisions, appointed and elected officials (including the Board of Trustees and other airport committees), outside agencies and community groups; interpret and explain engineering and construction programs, projects, policies and activities; serve as the RTAA representative on local, regional and/or national organizations regarding engineering and construction technical issues.
• Keep informed of new trends and innovations in the field of airport engineering and construction issues by participating in professional group associations, boards, committees and commissions.
• Respond to airport emergency incidents and serve as an essential member of the RTAA’s Emergency Response Team.
Entry Salary: $102,606 - $129,284 annually, with opportunity for additional merit-based increases up to a range maximum of $155,961 annually. Initial salary placement will be based upon experience and qualifications. This is a management at-will position, which is salaried and is exempt from overtime.
Benefits: The RTAA offers a competitive wage and benefit package and provides a high-quality work-life balance. Employee benefits include 100% employer paid contributions to the Nevada PERS retirement program; 100% employer paid health insurance for the employee; paid vacation and sick leave; 14-paid holidays per year; and tuition reimbursement - just to name a few!
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering, Architecture or a closely related Engineering discipline; OR current registration as a Professional Engineer and/or Architect. An equivalent combination of directly related experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
Required Experience: Five (5) years of full-time professional experience in engineering, architecture, public works, and/or construction project management, which includes two (2) years of management and supervisory experience. OR Five (5) years of full-time, progressively responsible, professional experience in the management of a program/project area, within the Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority and documented professional development in supervisory and/or leadership skills.
Preferred Experience: Strong engineering and construction management experience in an airport environment.
Required Licensing: A valid driver's license is required at the time of application. Incumbents must be able to obtain valid Certification of Registration as a Professional Engineer and/or Architect in the State of Nevada within one (1) year of the date of hire and as a condition of continuing employment.
A fully completed official online RTAA Employment Application must be received by 11:59 p.m., Sunday, January 29, 2023. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Recruitment will close without notice when a sufficient number of applications are received, or a hiring decision has been made.
More Airports Council International jobs
- 0 applicants
- 2+ years
- 5 hour shift
- Life insurance
- Health insurance
- Free parking
- Annual bonus
- Hurry up
Similar Engineering Manager jobs
- 0 applicants
- 5+ years
- 0 hour shift
- Life insurance
- Health insurance
- Free parking
- Annual bonus
- Hurry up
- Lead a team of multi-disciplined software engineers and establish priorities for system technical capabilities.
- Makes decisions related to technical oversight with the team, including architecture, DevOps, coding, and quality assurance practices.